Wonderful Surprises

Greetings in the Lord!

Today's word is from John 21:17-22:
"The third time he (Jesus) said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love me?" Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, "Do you love me?" He said, "Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Feed my sheep. I tell yo the truth, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when youare old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go." Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. Then he said to him, "Follow me!" Peter turned and saw that the disciple whom Jesus loved was following them. (This was the one who had leaned back against Jesus at the supper and had said, "Lord, who is going to betray you?") When Peter saw him, he asked, "Lord, what about him?" Jesus answered, "If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me."

~The passage today opens up a great discussion on love and loyalty; sacrifice and commitment; perseverance and devotion. Following Jesus is not a 'feel-good' thing--it is a commitment. During my years overseas when the Lord was smoothing out my rough edges and teaching me about perseverance and true devotion, He put me in some of the most trying, difficult, lonely, dangerous, and callous places on earth to teach me about His love and true discipleship. Oh, how the American church loves to lift their arms and sway to "annointed" worship music--and call that discipleship! What about those who preach love, but run away from every prickly person/situation because they want to avoid conflict? They are batting 1.000 each day--remained "in love" with everyone, but have convienently avoided any true "growing-in-Jesus" situation for themselves or others.

But alas, the Lord is preparing us, just as Jesus is doing in this passage, for a lesson in what true discipleship is. Expect that the Lord may put something on your heart in the upcoming days and weeks that may seem totally over your head or He may lead you to places that you've never been before---it's OK! Follow Him. And try not to react the same way Peter did as well, "But what about him?" (in his reference to John). The message of love from Jesus is so crucial to understand fully: love is a commitment, not a feeling. Today's word is an encouragement to press in, get even closer, hold onto more firmly, and dig in your heels to the things of the Lord or what He puts on your heart to do. Try not to lift your head and worry about what others are doing or get distracted by the circumstances that may be around you, but rather, stay focused on Jesus. "You must follow me!" Jesus says. Peter went on to help establish the Church...what special surprise is the Lord leading you to?

~Be blessed and be a blessing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joel 2: Locusts Swarm and Devour the Land

A Tsunami of Truth and Justice

Strong Hand of the Lord Moving Now

Set Free From the Trap

Battlements of Rubies, Gates of Sparkling Jewels

Righteousness and Justice Your Foundation

My Brother Ishmael