The Good Life Is Always Good

Greetings in the Lord!

Today's word comes from Job chapters 29-30, 38-39, of which I will share selected verses~
29:1-3~ Job continued in his discourse: "How I long for the months gone by, for the days when God watched over me, when his lamp shone upon my head and by his light I walked through darkness!
29:7-8~ When I went to the gate of the city and took my seat in the public square, the young men saw me and stepped aside and the old men rose to their feet;...
30:1~But now they mock me, men younger than I, whose fathers I would have disdained to put with my sheep dogs.
30:9-11~And now their sons mock me in song; I have become a byword among them. They detest me and keep their distance; they do not hesitate to spit in my face. Now that God has unstrung my bow and afflicted me, they throw off restraint in my presence.
30:20-21~I cry out to you, O God, but you do not answer; I stand up, but you merely look at me. You turn on me ruthlessly; with the might of your hand you attack me."
38:1-4~Then the Lord answered Job out of the storm. He said: "Who is this that darkens my counsel with words without knowledge? Brace yourself like a man; I will question you, and you shall answer me. Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation? Tell me, if you understand.
39:1~Do you know when the mountain goats give birth? Do you watch when the doe bears her fawn?
39:5-6~Who let the wild donkey go free? Who untied his ropes? I gave him the wasteland as his home, the salt flats as his habitat.
39:9~Will the wild ox consent to serve you? Will he stay by your manger at night?
39:19~Do you give the horse his strength or clothe his neck with a flowing mane?
39:26~Does the hawk take flight by your wisdom and spread his wings toward the south?"
~~~
Job despairs over his loss of family, possessions, reputation, and stature within the community and is angry at the shunning he now endures. He is disillusioned and angry at God, whom he feels has slighted him--even though he had strove to be faithful to the Lord in all that he did.

But instead of the Lord consoling Job and providing a reason for his trials, the Lord questions Job about the creation of the universe and all of animate creation. Recently I talked with a Christian who seemed to be going through the same disillusionment of Job: he had tasted the Lord's goodness in his life and became accustomed to having a certain level of what he considered to be the Lord's blessings--a steady job, good health, time to enjoy his hobbies, and no real financial worries. However, within minutes of our conversation it was obvious that this man was seriously concerned for his future as his company has been going through layoffs. He had gotten used to a "good" life and now struggled to see the faithfulness and justness of God in the midst of his circumstances.

In the Lord's questions to Job about the ways of creation, especially the animals, the Lord is telling Job that he does not need to worry---just have faith. As God provides and watches over every aspect of an animal's life, so He will hold us safely in His palm. The Lord is constant, unwavering, and we can put our faith in Him...even when He allows for a season of testing to strengthen and reveal our faith. I pray that you will be more aware of those who may be going through this. As the Lord shakes away everything that can be shaken in people's lives this season, we will have to stand in the gap prayfully for those who are disillusioned and angry with the Lord and comfort them with the truth that the Lord still loves and cares for them even though they may feel adandoned.

~Be blessed and be a blessing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joel 2: Locusts Swarm and Devour the Land

A Tsunami of Truth and Justice

Confession is Good for the Soul

It's Not that Strange, Doctor

Battlements of Rubies, Gates of Sparkling Jewels

Righteousness and Justice Your Foundation

My Brother Ishmael