Are Your Eyes Good

Greetings in the Lord!

After the season in Grand Rapids, Michigan, the Lord gave me another opportunity to learn in-depth about the strongholds of jealousy and envy. In the fall the Lord sent me to play basketball in Syria for 10 months. When I first got there, I walked around town with my teammates and many times male onlookers said something to me in Arabic that sounded like the same phrase over and over. I asked my teammates what the guys were saying and they said, "They are saying, 'Allah protect you from the Eye.' It's what we say here."

Over time I came to learn about the ancient Babylonian tradition of 'Evil Eye' and 'Blue Eye,' which is positive. In their culture, jealousy and envy has such a stronghold on people that they actually ask Allah to protect those they discern would be harmed by the "evil eyes" of others. Probably, the male onlookers saw that I was an unsuspecting, attractive and affluent foreign woman and feared for my safety. Most likely they would not have said this if I was walking with a man, as they would have assumed he was my "protector." At any rate, I learned very quickly the truth of the proverb that says jealousy is more fierce than wrath.

In Lebanon, the men said to me, "God bless you," which I learned was actually more of a statement of 'You've been blessed by the Lord.' It was amazing how different the mentalities of Syria and Lebanon were-- night and day. The 'blessing' in Lebanon was such a comfort and reassured me that the Lord was indeed with me, while the other reminded me of the pervasive evil heart conditions and tempted me to be fearful.

~Be blessed and be a blessing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joel 2: Locusts Swarm and Devour the Land

A Tsunami of Truth and Justice

Strong Hand of the Lord Moving Now

Battlements of Rubies, Gates of Sparkling Jewels

Righteousness and Justice Your Foundation

My Brother Ishmael

Confession is Good for the Soul