Ears to Hear, and Hearts to Learn

Greetings in the Lord!

Today's word is from John 6.  It is an interesting chapter as it highlights two famous miracles of Jesus: the feeding of the five thousand, and Him walking on the Sea of Galilee to his disciples in a boat.  However, and more sobering, is the last half of the chapter that has Jesus teaching about Himself as the bread of Life...and the resulting departure of many of his unbelieving "believers." 

Jesus starts off by giving the reason for their departure before they even get to the question: "I tell you the truth, you are looking for me, not because you saw the miraculous signs but because you ate the loaves and had your fill" (verse 26).  Their following of Jesus was not a faith issue, but of simple human logic: 'nice guy, wise words, good food--follow him!'   Obviously, they had missed the boat completely.  The crux of the issue was, and is still, about having eternal life with Jesus, or dying with an un-regenerated life devoid of the Holy Spirit.  So, in essence, you could say that these "followers" were the original Grateful Dead groupies.  They went home happy after the concert, and made plans to go to the next performance but were none the wiser in believing in Jesus as Christ the Savior. 

But Jesus couldn't have that.  "The work of God is this: to believe in the one He has sent."  It is the same scenario two thousand years later--people like the benefits of God without having to believe in Christ Jesus and live according to His words.  It never ceases to amaze me how many different false theologies and opinions about God I hear, even from "Christians," that have this one thing in common: they reject Jesus as Son of God and Savior of the world.  In native-English speaking countries that were traditionally Christian, the prominent false theologies I hear are that, "There are many ways to God."  But this idea rejects the truth of why Jesus came to earth in the first place: "For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of Him who sent me.  And this is the will of Him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all that He has given me, but raise them up at the last day.  For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day."  John 6:38-40.

It's an exclusive offer, fulfilled through belief in Christ alone.  "I am the bread of life.  He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty...Your forefathers ate manna and died, but he who feeds on this bread will live forever...The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing.  The words I have spoken to you are spirit and they are life."  (John 6:35, 58, 63).

So, there's the dividing line, so to speak.  There are many who have formed an idea about God and follow a school of thought that parallels God's truth, but it never intersects with the truth about Jesus Christ.  They live on vehemently believing that there are many ways to reach the kingdom of heaven but deny Life in Christ, and still go on in darkness.  Jesus said, "Everyone who listens to the Father and learns from Him comes to me," (John 6:45) so my prayer is for God to open the ears of many to hear Him, and give them a teachable heart to learn from Him, so that they will be drawn to Christ Jesus as Lord and Savior.
 
~Be blessed and be a blessing. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keeping My Eyes on Jesus

A Good Soldier of Christ Jesus

Be A Fruitful Branch

Woman at the Well

Mene, Mene, Tekel, Parsin -- Daniel Tell It

University Shakeup

Restored in New York