Proclaim Freedom for the Captives

Greetings in the Lord!


Well, it's May and that means graduation time for all the high school and university seniors out there--congratulations!  It also means a busy travel time for their families wishing them well, and that is what I've been doing...106 degrees in Tucson, AZ by the way, but what a lovely commencement in the UA stadium.  Thank you Lord, for blessing this nation with wonderful schools of higher education....it's great to see more and more foreign nationals coming here as well, as it creates an amazing diversity on our campuses and enriches the whole learning process.  Amen.


Well, today's word comes from Exodus 6 and Psalms 66.  In the Exodus passage, Moses had just gone to Pharaoh to give him the word of God: 'Let My people go;' and Pharaoh responds by making the plight of the Israelites worse, by increasing their work load and abusing them harshly.  The Israelite leaders get angry with Moses because of this, and everyone becomes more discouraged.


Moses returned to the Lord and said, "O Lord, why have You brought trouble upon this people?  Is this why You sent me?  Ever since I went to Pharaoh to speak in Your name, he has brought trouble upon this people, and You have not rescued Your people at all."


Then the Lord said to Moses, "Now you will see what I will do to Pharaoh: Because of My mighty hand he will let them go; because of My mighty hand he will drive them out of his country...."
"Therefore, say to the Israelites: 'I AM the Lord, and I will bring you out from under the yoke of the Egyptians.  I will free you from being slaves to them, and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and with mighty acts of judgment.  I will take you as My own people, and I will be your God."   Exodus 5:22-6:6.


How awesome are the promises of God!  That even though things aren't accomplished in a blink of an eye, yet, we can KNOW that He is well able to bring to fulfillment His promises of salvation.  That is what Psalm 66 is all about.  It is a psalm of praise to God, for delivering His people from their oppressors with His mighty hand and acts of judgment. 


He rules forever by His power, His eyes watch the nations--let not the rebellious rise up against Him.  Praise our God, O peoples, let the sound of His praise be heard; He has preserved our lives and kept our feet from slipping.  For you, O God, tested us; You refined us like silver...You let men ride over our heads; we went through fire and water, but You brought us to a place of abundance.


Come and listen, all you who fear God; let me tell you what He has done for me.  I cried out to Him with my mouth; His praise was on my tongue.  If I had cherished sin in my heart, the Lord would not have listened; but God has surely listened and heard my voice in prayer.  Praise be to God, who has not rejected my prayer or withheld His love from me!  Psalm 66:7-12, 16-20. 


As we face troubles brought on by the wicked, we can put all our trust in God's saving grace on our lives---because of the covenant He made with us, He will rescue us from our enemies and set our feet in an abundant land because He promised to do so.  This is the time of Isaiah 61, the time
"to proclaim freedom for the captives", "to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn", "to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair." 


I want to encourage the whole body of Christ to praise Him, even in the midst of their violent storms, as the Lord will move mightily to deliver His people.  Get ready to see some amazing things, true miracles of God as judgment is pronounced against their captors.  Literally, watch and read the news with eyes of faith and be encouraged--for God is with us.  Amen and amen! 


~Be blessed and be a blessing.         

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keeping My Eyes on Jesus

A Good Soldier of Christ Jesus

Be A Fruitful Branch

Woman at the Well

Mene, Mene, Tekel, Parsin -- Daniel Tell It

University Shakeup

Restored in New York