Unfailing Promises of God

Greetings in the Lord!

Today's word comes from 2 Samuel 16. It is an account of more lowpoints in David's life, for sure. The first is when Ziba, the servant of Mephibosheth comes to David while he is fleeing Jerusalem from his son Absalom. Ziba is offering gifts to David to more or less take advantage of the political situation, ie, he sees an opportunity to inherit all of Mephibosheth's estate by telling David Mephibosheth has joined in the revolt against David. And since David is not sure about where anyone's loyalties stand at the moment, he assumes the betrayal is true and gives the estate to Ziba.

The next story tells about Shimei, a relative of Saul, coming out to throw stones and dirt at David while cursing him. But instead of getting mad at him, David allows this abuse to continue, leaving open the possibility that maybe God really doesn't want him to be king anymore. However, David0 resigns to leave it all in God's hands: "It may be that the Lord will see my distress and repay me with good for the cursing I am receiving today." (2Samuel 16:12).

Lastly, Absalom slept with all the king's concubines openly in Jerusalem, which he intended that to strengthen his position as newly self-appointed king of Israel. The bottomline for David at this point is that things look pretty bleak for him--it seems he lost the throne, has been betrayed by his son, and his very life is in danger. Oh, but the promises of the Lord! I'm sure David did not let go of those promises and lose hope!

"Keep me safe, O God, for in you I take refuge....Lord, You have assigned me my portion and my cup; You have made my lot secure. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. I will praise the Lord, who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me. I have set the Lord always before me. Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; my body also will rest secure....You have made known to me the path of life; You will fill me with joy in Your presence, with eternal pleasures at Your right hand." (Psalms 16)

Yes, our "David" is going through his leadership training course right before our very eyes! Even though things look really bleak at the moment, this election race is not over.

~Be blessed and be a blessing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joel 2: Locusts Swarm and Devour the Land

Righteousness and Justice Your Foundation

Strong Hand of the Lord Moving Now

Beware of Karen and the Nicolaitans

I Have Faith

Wedding Clothes

My Brother Ishmael