Open My Eyes That I Might See and Be Saved

Greetings in the Lord,

Today's word comes from Psalm 73.  It is a "wisdom" psalm; a passage of godly counsel concerning the destinies of the righteous and of the wicked.

Surely God is good to Israel, to those who are pure in heart.
       A reminder that God blesses those who pursue His goodness in word, thought and deed!

But as for me, my feet had almost slipped; I had nearly lost my foothold.  For I envied the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.  They have no struggles; their bodies are healthy and strong.  They are free from the burdens of man; they are not plagued by human ills.
       There are times in our faith walk when we go through such difficulties for our godly convictions, that we may actually think that living like the wicked would be better than serving God.  Their lives full of selfish gain/greed, cruelty, and undisciplined, godless behavior seems carefree and easy, even enjoyable, so that they get to pursue all the lusts of the flesh with complete abandon--for that is their definition of "prosperity."

Therefore pride is their necklace; they clothe themselves with violence.  From their callous hearts comes iniquity; the evil conceits of their minds know no limits.  They scoff, and speak with malice; in their arrogance they threaten oppression.
       Their evil behavior and corrupt thinking, their unholy words and threats to kill are all a result of their godless arrogance.  Because of their worldly prosperity, they mistakenly think they can do as they like to whomever they want.

Their mouths lay claim to heaven, and their tongues take possession of the earth.  Therefore their people turn to them and drink up waters in abundance.  They say, "How can God know?  Does the Most High have knowledge?"  
         Here is the most important part of the whole passage--these wicked ones not only live a life of debauchery and evil, but they even try to boast of 'knowing god'!  Then, they turn around and use all of this--their wealth, their lie about being 'godly' yet living violent and wanton lives, to recruit others to follow them!!!  It is complete evil.  Obviously, they do not serve God Almighty.  In reality, they know this too, as they deny the Sovereign Lord could even know or do anything about their evil ways.  They arrogantly believe they can live as they please with no consequence.

"Surely in vain have I kept my heart pure; in vain have I washed my hands in innocence."
For a short time, the psalmist felt "plagued" by his incorrect thinking that the wicked were indeed having it better than himself.  Luckily, the psalmist did not share his false beliefs with other Jesus followers, thereby discouraging them as well.  Rather, in silence he pondered his perplexity at why God was allowing him to go through so much and it was only resolved when he sought the Lord.

...Till I entered the sanctuary of God; then I understood their final destiny.

Surely You place them on slippery ground; You cast them down to ruin.  How suddenly they are destroyed, completely swept away by terrors!  As a dream when one awakes, so when You arise, O Lord, You will despise them as fantasies.  
       The psalmist realizes that they are headed to eternal destruction...and repents for his foolish thinking.  He was thinking as an animal with no reasoning, as one who is not enlightened by God.  Honestly, it doesn't take much for us to "envy" others when we are going through tough times, but it is important to see these for what they are--tests of faith.  God does not tempt us to sin, but rather, He tests our faith from time to time so we can see the true strength (or not) of our faith in Him.  Do we really trust God to deliver us, heal us, to provide and meet all of our needs?  Do we know Jesus at all?

Yet I am always with You; You hold me by my right hand.  You guide me with Your counsel, and afterward You will take me into glory.  Whom have I in heaven but You?  And earth has nothing I desire besides You.  My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.  

Those who are far from You will perish; You destroy all who are unfaithful to You.  But as for me, it is good to be near God.  I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge; I will tell of all Your deeds. 

Be blessed and be a blessing.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joel 2: Locusts Swarm and Devour the Land

I Have Faith

Righteousness and Justice Your Foundation

My Brother Ishmael

Strong Hand of the Lord Moving Now

Beware of Karen and the Nicolaitans

Europe Awaken Yourselves